Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Orange all Around



As you know I spent the last weekend in Natal. It so happened to co inside with the Hindu festival Thaipusam.
Thaipusam is the feast for the son of Shiva, Lord Subramarian. Lord Subramarian is the universal granter of wishes. All those who wish to ask for a future favour, fulfill a vow in return for a granted favour, or to repent for past sins will participate in this feast.
I happened to come across these beautiful garlands made out of marigolds for the celebration. I loved how each one was so individual, some had other flowers braided in between the marigolds whilst others where adorned with peacock feathers. It was mainly the colour that struck me as so vibrant and rich. I'm not normally a yellow/orange kind of girl, but when I got home I looked around me and noticed quite a few of my favorite things were shades of this rich marigold orange......

For starters, my beloved Dr Hauschka mini travel kit. Also, I love the look and smell of Darling's Geo.F. Trumper's Sandalwood shaving soap.

My treasured copy of Elsie de Wolfe's 'House in Good Taste' Her advice is timeless.

Part of my collection of the Schott's Almanac. Poor Darling gets one for every birthday as tradition. They all live stacked in our guest loo! I have paired the orange with the blue here - as I started this post I realised something I had forgotten from art class, blue is the complimentary colour to orange. Of course!


My very handy worst case scenario book. Who knows when I'll have to leap from a motorcycle to a car. I'm serious the first instruction is to wear a high quality helmet and leather jacket, plus leather pants and boots. The outfit sounds very glam.
I got given this beautiful box of Turkish Delights by a guest. A wonderful present I thought.

My favorite amber Lampe Bergere. I stock these in my shop so am always living in a world of 'Cypress Breeze' or 'Cedars of Babylon' Quite exotic names for the oils I must say. These amber beads I adore as they remind me of my great aunt. They are very heavy and I'm sure I would get a migraine within seconds of wearing them. They look beautiful on my dressing table though. Again, couldn't do without the blue!

This Naf Naf tee I have had FOREVER. I can't toss it, I'm not sure why but I have become attached. I think it's one of those items that is kept for the day my figure miraculously reverts back to a twelve year old. mmmmmmm
Same with the bikini bottoms. They have seen me through many a fun summer.

My new fancy running gadget! Apropos of my previous blog on running I decided to get myself into the swing of things by treating myself to a handy little running watch. I love the colour and the design. Typically it does not get enough time on the track. I seem to be stuck on the 3rd week 9min run.
A girlfriend has just given me this beautiful little bag from her trip to Hong Kong. AGAIN can you believe the blue?

I bought these beautiful pumpkin orange silks from Thailand eight years ago. I wonder when I'll do something with them?

Spot the lone marigold! Definately not my favorite flower but an essential one.

* A note from Mrs Potter
If you want to have an organic vegetable garden, it is hugely helpful to plant African Marigolds as they act as a bug and slug repellent.
You won't have to use chemical pesticides!







1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love this blog! So insightful and original! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete