Sunday, August 1, 2010

Little Lady Pancakes

Well, like most weekends I hear Darling say 'what's for breakfast?' I must say in Darling's defence this is always after I have been given my daily coffee in bed. But somehow, even after the caffeine has been absorbed, this question can make me feel quite furious. Aaaaargh. Honestly, I am immersed in an article on Philippe Starck's quirky day to day life at his holiday house in the Balearic islands, and now I must come crashing back to the planet of domestic chores - so un-Philippe Starcky! Anyway, resisting in ones own mind just makes things worse. Darling has already leapt out of bed and is sawing,digging,drilling away (chores are his hobby) so you see I really ought to make breakfast.
The thing is, as you would have seen in my previous post -the clothes are coming next week! Oh the clothes, how can I cheat on you with food! If I carry on with Darling's British approach to breakfasts the clothes won't be loving me! What to do. I can't make separate meals for us at every meal - my will power is just a figment of my imagination. I must be clever, yes very clever.

This is what I made. I call it 'Little Lady Pancakes'

They were delicious! AND they took about ten mins.

Makes 4 large pancakes.
For the Pancakes
100g Buckwheat Flour (Buckwheat flour is not part of the wheat family, buckwheat is often used in gluten free baking. Buckwheat is a good source of potassium, phosphorous, calcium, vitamin E and B vitamins. Substitute for wheat flour according to a recipe)
35g Xylitol (Xylitol powder is derived from birch bark. It can be used as a spoon replacement for sugar but has low glycemic index)
210ml Skimmed Milk
2 1/2 tbsp Water
1 Medium Egg
4 tsp Coconut Oil for Frying (1 tsp per pancake)
For the Topping
Low Fat Bulgarian Yoghurt
Berries and Fruit

1. Make the pancakes by blending all the pancake ingredients together. (Except the coconut oil)
2. Melt one teaspoon of the coconut oil in a frying pan and tip to coat the whole pan surface. Spoon in half a ladleful of the batter and tip the pan to spread it evenly in a circle around the base.
3. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds on each side.
4. Spoon a tablesoon of the yoghurt on top (a good substitute for cream) and cover with berries and other fruit.
5. Drizzle a bit of raw honey or agave nectar over the top.


I sadly did not have any blueberries or strawberries. I had gooseberries and was a bit naughty and used banana. You should always make the presentation exciting.

I also did the classic trick of serving the pancakes on a smaller plate. This tricks your brain into thinking your plate is piled high with food and therefore sees more food than there actually is! Or something like that.

* A note from Mrs Married:
I read an article once in the Tatler where the author compared being married to being extremely similar to a waitress - both serving three meals a day.
We all feel like this at some point, lets be honest. The only thing is, that unlike a waitress, you get to choose what you serve. So, be a bit imaginative and make it delicious, healthy and very easy.
There is no reason today for labour intensive meals, nor is there an excuse for anything vastly unhealthy. With all the health shops today there is a substitute for everything. You just have to do your initial homework and you're set for good!

2 comments:

  1. I would do house chores any day for a breakfast like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are more posts?! I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete