Monday, August 30, 2010

So on Saturday night Darling and I attended a charity ball. As with all these things there was the
inescapable auction (not that I'm complaining it - it was for charity after all) All I know is that we woke up on Sunday morning with a pile of white envelopes next to Darling's head - all our 'winnings' !!! We are an auctioneers dream come true. We love a bit of a frenzy, a bit of excitement, a bit of competition and above all obviously think that money grows on trees!! Hooray!! (It's like auctions are pretend, I always feel like you don't actually pay. As long as you win) I must never go near an auction again!
We acquired some pretty diverse things:
  • Not one but two weekends away (neither places we've ever heard of)
  • A two hour Dr Hauschka facial.
  • The ex chef of the Mount Nelson is coming to our house to cook for one of our dinner parties (AMAZING) Who will be the lucky guests? mmmmmmm.
  • A signed cricket bat by the Cape Cobras (I must admit I had never heard of them) And when we got the bat it was only a half bat - a mini one. Although actually probably better.
  • And then the piece de resistance was the three day rock climbing course!!!! What was I thinking? I must be mad. Although we all know I cannot resist a fad.

We even got given a free case of wine. They didn't say it, but I think it's for drowning our sorrows when we realise we will be living off tinned tuna for months! Well, at least we'll know how to rock climb.


This is more or less how I imiagine the rock climbing will turn out.

*A note from Mr Manners.
Try not to get caught up in the frenzy of auctions.
It will do you no good and you will bid for things that you neither
want nor can afford. You should try to ignore your competitive streak.
Don't bid against your friends. Let them have it, chances are auction karma will reward you. Don't drink and bid! For obvious reasons. Memory loss at an auction is by no means an ideal situation. Don't do a victory dance - you paid for the item! Never gloat, someone will know better and you might have brought a dud.
In fact, unless you know what you are doing, an auction is a scenario rife with imminent disaster! The exception is of course charity. You can put your foolishness down to charity and is therefore a win win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment